Saturday, September 11, 2010

Gonsalves confident of being re-elected

KINGSTOWN, St Vincent, Sept 11, 2010 CMC - Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves is confident that his ruling Unity Labour Party (ULP) will be returned to power when voters go to the polls to elect a new government in general elections constitutionally due by March next year.

Speaking on a local radio programme Friday, from Cuba, Gonsalves said it would take a “miracle” for the opposition New Democratic Party (NDP) to defeat the ULP in the next general election that political observers say would be held before the constitutional deadline.

“The NDP doesn’t have leadership, they don’t have quality candidates, they don’t have any programme. And, they have a lot of angry people who hanging around, and a long of people who (are) just greedy and they want to get into the State to rip it off,” he told radio listeners.

“Now, in relation to me, I am the least important person in terms of what would happen if the ULP lose. I’m a professional,” said Gonsalves, an attorney and former university lecturer.

“Now, the point about it is this: What I am focusing on, I have to complete the international airport. If I don’t complete it, who is going complete it? Look, St. Vincent and the Grenadines at the moment, -and I don’t want to sound immodest here - which leader in St. Vincent and the Grenadines has the global stature to get things done for St. Vincent and the Grenadines? Which one? None (of) them! Absolutely none! And this is not something which can be made. If you don’t have it, you don’t have it,” Gonsalves said.

He said that before entering politics he had delivered lectures internationally in addition to practising law.

“As a professional and as an intellectual, I had made a mark. And the politics, my role as Prime Minster, simply added to that,” he said.
Gonsalves acknowledged that he is “not indispensible” but insisted that in the present political climate he is the best choice to lead the island.

“And that is the point I am making. And I don’t sound immodest about it, even though the point I am making is true,” he said, adding that he was not blowing his own trumpet.

“ I am just asking people to look at these matters,” Gonsalves said.

In the last general election, the ULP won 12 of the 15 seats with the NDP winning the remaining three.


http://csmenetwork.com/2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9119:-st-vincent-prime-minister-confident-of-being-re-elected&catid=122:csme-network-latest&Itemid=211