Saturday, February 12, 2011

Vincentian Coffee

Normally I don't feature commercial products in this blog, but this one is a bit different.



This coffee is grown, roasted and sold here in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. According to the package (which I got in the Sunshine supermarket across from the airport) St. Vincent and the Grenadines was the second country in the Americas to grow coffee. We were the biggest supplier to the U.S. in the colonial period and coffee continued to be an important crop till we got seduced by the banana.

The coffee is sold in quarter-kilo foil bags for $48 EC ($19US) which is expensive, but it compares favorably with the best coffee I've had anywhere. I'll let experts compare it to Jamaica Blue Mountain, but I'm sure it is in that class. It certainly isn't too expensive for a souvenir and it should get through the customs in the US.

You can get more information by emailing coffeesvg@yahoo.com